[SA-exim] Re: sa-exim and temp reject...

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Thu Aug 21 09:47:36 PDT 2003

[Cc sa-exim, since both the question and answer should be interesting]

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 03:10:06PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Feature request... I'd like to temporarily reject mail with a medium
> SpamAssassin score, but keep a week's worth of message-ids of mails
> which were temporarily rejected, and _allow_ the same mail if it's
> retried.

I see what you're trying to do.
BTW, I heard from a friend in the anti-spam field that this scheme doesn't
work nearily as well as it used to, but it's still ok.

Let's look at implementations.
1) Lower your sa-exim tempreject score to let's say 2 or 3

2a) modify SA to touch /var/spool/samesgid/<mesgid>
    (done in /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin.pm, see my timelog function
    there and steal from it)
3a) Add a simple SA check to stat /var/spool/samesgid/<mesgid>
    and add a score of -5 or such if it's there.

2b) modify sa-exim to touch /var/spool/samesgid/<mesgid> before issuing
    a tempreject (this is effectively already done if you use the save
    temp rejected messages feature)
3b) for each message, before running SA, stat /var/spool/samesgid/<mesgid>
    if the stat succeeds, add a X-SA-Exim-Already-Seen: secret value header
4b) write a trivial SA rule to lower score by 5 if X-SA-Exim-Already-Seen
    is there with the right value
5b) strip X-SA-Exim-Already-Seen in system_filter