[SA-exim] teergrubing

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Fri Aug 22 10:27:15 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 20:47, jvanasco at mastersofbranding.com wrote:
> The idea isn't to DOS -- the idea, is to have a clickthrough for every
> recipient.

This is an interesting idea, but I think you have the economics wrong in
that you assume that the spammer runs the website and the spammer's aim
is to get final sales.

> Mr.Spammer sends out 5,000,000 emails.  5,000,000 x 1k isn't much
> bandwidth.  He only needs 5 people to buy his wares to turn a profit on
> the mailing – and he doesn't expect more than 200 people or so to click
> through to his website.

There were a couple of articles around a week or so back regarding
financial spamming.  Spammers were paid on click through rates so...

If you have *every* single victim click through then the spammer gets
lots and lots of money.  This might not seem like a good result, but the
people *buying* the spamming services are paying out lots more money for
no return.  You have just broken the economic model - they have to fix
it.  An ideal next phase would be to feed them duff additional
information - ideally give them all each others phone numbers :-)

	Nigel.