[SA-exim] Again sa-exim and fetchmail

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Tue May 6 11:03:46 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 04:46:10PM +0200, Richard Bergmair wrote:
> Can't anybody give me a hint?
> I can't believe I'm the first one, trying to do this!

No, I just answered that mail and I thought you were asking again, but it
turns out it was someone else who was asking
But no, pretty much no-one is doing that, fetchmail is a bastard setup and
not exactly what sa-exim was designed for.

> I receive both mail sent directly to my MTA, and mail sent to my provider's
> mail-account. I use fetchmail 5.6.5 in deamon-mode to poll my provider's
> POP3-server for new mail, and now I want to get rid of spam sent directly
> to my MTA, as well as spam lying around in my providers mailbox.
>
> Filtering seems to work perfectly. I don't *receive* any more spam that
> spamassassin can identify as such, but it's not deleted from the
> POP3-account.

sa-exim is not going to be very useful with fetchmail.

> In fetchmail(1) I read, that fetchmail deletes mail only if the delivery was
> either successful, or it receives one of the error-codes
> [571, 550, 501, 554] which usually indicate that mail was rejected due to
> spam-checking. Doesn't sa-exim send one of these error-codes, or what could

It does, or it sends 4xx depending on the configuration.

> be the reason, that spam remains in the mailbox, after running fetchmail on a
> spammed mailbox?

This is really a fetchmail problem, you should log your fetchmail smtp
connection and ask on a fetchmail list.