[SA-exim] SA-exim panic: Bad file number

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Tue May 20 10:34:19 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:14:09AM +0200, Hans-Peter Zahno wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we are running SA-exim 3.0 /exim 4.20 / SA 2.54 on Solaris 9.
> Yesterday exim did panic. Here is the panic log:
>
> 2003-05-19 09:22:37 19Heye-0003Mc-DM SA: PANIC: Error in error handler while trying to save mail
> to /usr/local/exim/spool/spamassassin/SAerrorsave/1053328957_!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAHMAAAAAAAAAOKG7E
> AXlEBqhuwgAKypWwgAARU1TTURCLkRMTAAAAAAAAAAAG1X6IKpmEc2byACqAC-EWgwAAABFWENIQU5HRTEAL289U1dJVENIL2
> 91PVVuaUZyL2NuPVJlY2lwaWVudHMvY249SG9mbmVyTUMALgAAAAAAAABaeMxioxzTEakpCAArw18xAQD5hbJG5oDQEaipAAD
> 4MADuAAAAJd5tAAAAAAAALgAAAAAAAABaeMxioxzTEakpCAArw18xAQD5hbJG5oDQEaipAAD4MADuAAAAJd5uAAAQAAAA90lF
> q2cASUazp5Y51yC1-x0AAABGQ0hPIC0gcHJvamV0IEZvcm1hdGlvbiBTaWRhAA==@wohnhas.ch, file ../src/local_sc
> an.c, line 1303: Bad file number
>
> Anybody has an idea what went wrong with this message?

That looks like the Message-ID, and while it looks like a valid
filename, solaris refused to create it.

I'm not sure this is a bug with sa-exim or not.
One possible fix is to set a DATA ACL that rejects a message whose
Message-Id is longer than 100 characters or so

If you know a little C, see if you can get sa-exim to truncate the
messageid string before it creates the filename.
I'll probably add that to the code when I get the chance