[SA-exim] whitelists at smtp time

Daniel M. Drucker dmd at 3e.org
Sun Nov 23 16:12:07 PST 2003

Can anyone help me figure out how to obey user whitelists from SQL at
smtp-time?

Let's say I have a row in my SA userpref table that looks like this:

(username, preference, value, prefid)
dmd at 3e.org, whitelist_from, *@psych.upenn.edu, 42

I want an "accept sender" line in exim.conf which will pass a spammy mail
coming from anyuser at psych.upenn.edu so that whitelists are respected
properly and very spammy mail isn't blocked at SMTP-time.

There are two problems causing this. First, spamassassin preferences use
filename globbing syntax, whereas mysql's "rlike" uses real regexps. Mysql
wants something like

  .*@psych.upenn.edu
whereas spamassassin wants
   *@psych.upenn.edu

Second, the whole reason I need that accept sender directive is that SA is
only respecting "nobody"'s whitelist_from preferences when run at SMTP-time.
If there were a way to get SA to respect ALL users' whitelist_from entries,
the accept_sender line would not be needed, because SA wouldn't trigger on
the spammy mail anyway.

Suggestions/help?

Daniel Drucker