[SA-exim] sa-exim with Exim4 + Debian (Sarge)

Pradeeper pradeeper at unionb.com
Wed Apr 28 16:40:49 PDT 2004

Hi All

We're evaluating Exim4 with Debian Sarge to replace our proprietary email
server.
Spam blocking is essential and we select Spamassassin with
SA-Exim.
Now we can send and receive emails without any problem but not SPAM
blocking.

Here is the things what we've done so far:

1. Installed following software.

	o exim4 		(Ver: 4.31-2)
	o exim4-config  	(Ver: 4.31-2)
	o exim4-daemon-heavy 	(Ver: 4.31-2)
	o sa-exim 		(Ver: 4.0-1)
	o spamassassin 		(Ver: 2.63-1)
	o spamc 		(Ver: 2.63-1)
	o popa3d 		(Ver: 0.6.4-2)

2. configured Exim4 with debconf ( Exim is working now).

3. modified /etc/default/spamassasin to start spamd with -d -u nobody

4. modified /etc/spamassassin/local.cf with following,

	rewrite_subject 1
	subject_tag SPAM: _HITS_:
	report_safe 1

That's it!

According to /usr/share/doc/sa-exim/README, we don't need any
modification to Exim configuration to work.
But it seems that sa-exim is not working on the system.

We haven't modify configuration of sa-exim, but it seems that
/etc/exim4/sa-exim.conf has all the nice features enabled ;-)
For example, in sa-exim.conf has

	SAnotspamsave: /var/spool/sa-exim/SAnotspam

But there's NO SAnotspam under /var/spool/sa-exim/
(/var/spool/sa-exim has RWX permission to user "Debian-exim")

How can I start sa-exim with my Exim4? Any idea?

Thanks!

Pradeeper
--

Debian GNU/Linux Sarge (kernel 2.2.20-compact)

Classical music is the kind we keep thinking will turn into a tune.
		-- Kin Hubbard, "Abe Martin's Sayings"