[SA-exim] greylisting, exim-4.34 status

Paul Makepeace merlins.org at paulm.com
Tue May 18 02:45:19 PDT 2004

Je 2004-05-18 01:38:10 +0100, Marc MERLIN skribis:
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 01:32:33AM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > Je 2004-05-15 19:22:57 +0100, Marc MERLIN skribis:
> > > Yeah, things will work fine.
> > > 1) most mail will go through just fine
> > > 2) greylisted mail that is spam will go to your secondary MX, unless it was
> > >    already sent there to start with
> > > 3) secondary MX will also greylist sender
> > > 4) if sender resends a 2nd or 3rd time depending on above, the mail will
> > >    be accepted
> > > 5) ...
> > > 6) profit (*)
> > >
> > > Mmmh, actually not quite, I should build a greylist hack so that if
> > > /var/spool/sa-exim/tuplets/12/174/92/all
> > > or
> > > /var/spool/sa-exim/tuplets/12/174/92/all/all
> > > exit, then the mail is whitelisted automatically
> >
> > Does SAEximRunCond not enable you to bypass SA when taking connections
> > from your MXen? (I have for example, {!eq
> > {$sender_host_address}{217.207.14.60}}in the 'and' condition.)
>
> Sorry, my fever was making me say stupid things. Yes, of course, you
> shouldn't run SA when receiving mail from your secondary MXes, which solves
> the greylisting problem too.

If it's any consolation, it took me several days before this thought
popped into my head... Might be worth mentioning it in the README? "If
you want to whitelist some hosts from being greylisted..."

Those expansions are performed in the context of the executing exim,
right? It would be nice to be able to create a hostlist and check
$sender_host_address against them. I can never quite remember exim
syntax long enough to do this kind of thing myself ;-) Anyone?

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ................................  http://paulm.com/ecademy

"What is position if there ain't no contortin'? The longer you can you
 can't."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/