[SA-exim] devnull relayed spam?

Kilian Krause kk at verfaction.de
Thu Nov 11 00:07:12 PST 2004

Hi Tor,

Am Mittwoch, den 10.11.2004, 15:02 -0800 schrieb Tor Slettnes:
> [Kilian, sorry for the duplicate; I had the wrong address for the
> SA-Exim list the first time].

well, first of all there's no need to CC me as i do read sa-exim
anyway.. but sending me twice might already count as ground level spam
hehe (just kiddin') ;)

> Kilian Krause wrote:
>
> >>     whitelist_from_rcvt   *@*   debian.org
> >>
> >you don't seriously expect me to WHITELIST 80% of my SPAM source, eh?
> >(for the example of the .forward on a friend's box..)
> >

> As I was saying, with SA-Exim that is your only option, unless you also
> want to REJECT mail from that server (thus creating headaches for their
> postmaster). Because it runs outside Exim's ACL subsystem, you don't
> have access to the same sophisticated conditional evaluation that you do
> with, for instance, Exiscan-ACL (included in Debian's
> "exim4-daemon-heavy" package).
>
> You did not follow those links I posted, huh?

well, in fact i did read them and maybe i'm either to blind or just to
fixed on my own thinking to see the obvious solution..

> >Whitelisting the *host* would cause all the spam hit unfiltered my
> >inbox, that's why i want to *NOT* produce collateral spam, but just
> >accept and stuff it away into /dev/null...
> >
> Below is how I do this with Exiscan-ACL.  (Well, almost; this is a
> slight simplification).   I still send all mail from external sources to
> SpamAssassin; but if it comes from a host in my
> /etc/mail/whitelist-hosts file, I never reject it.  I also add a
> "X-Spam-Status:" header, so that my MDA (Cyrus) can filter it into the
> recipient's Junk folder.
>

>   # Invoke SpamAssassin to obtain $spam_score and $spam_report.
>   # Depending on the classification, $acl_m9 is set to "ham" or "spam".
>   #
>   # If the message is classified as spam, but the sending host is
>   # in our whitelist, accept the mail anyway.
>   #
>   warn
>     set acl_m9  = ham
>     spam        = mail
>     set acl_m9  = spam
>     !hosts      = /etc/mail/whitelist-hosts
>     control     = fakereject
>     logwrite    = :reject: Rejected spam (score $spam_score): $spam_report

so you say the magic is here to use fakereject instead of reject? I
daresay that i tried to understand that from the URL given back in the
thread and somewhat i still cannot see what the *FAKE* about this reject
is. So maybe you can enlighten me how i with this can do a
"whitelisting" but still scan my mails and then throw them silently
into /dev/null without producing large backscatter with my mx being the
one listed in the "he's to blame, he didn't accept it!"..

--
Best regards,
 Kilian