[SA-exim] Using SA-Exim with FreeBSD Exim port

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Sat Sep 4 13:43:56 PDT 2004

* Juha Saarinen <juha at futhermucker.net> [20040904 02:05]: wrote:
> Having migrated to FreeBSD 5.x from RHL recently, I am trying to set up
> SpamAssassin to check messages at SMTP time as before.
>
> However, while the FreeBSD Exim port comes with exiscan, it doesn't have
> the sa-exim patch by the looks of it.
>
> Found a post by Odhiambo Washington here:
>
> http://lists.merlins.org/archives/sa-exim/2003-May/000375.html
>
> outlining how to set up older versions.
>
> Does this method still work?
>
> Any pointers, hints, tips, URL, etc appreciated. :-)

Hi Juha,

Welcome to FreeBSD!! I wonder why you decided to cross the floor but
that is OT.

Get sa-exim-4.1.tar.gz and read the INSTALL file included. Use method
no 2 to build. I have just run a test on compilation:

tar yxvf exim-4.42.tar.bz2
bunzip2 exiscan-acl-4.42-27.patch.bz2
tar xzvf sa-exim-4.1.tar.gz

Then I did

cd exim-4.42
patch -p1 < ../exiscan-acl-4.42-27.patch
patch -p1 < ../sa-exim-4.1/localscan_dlopen_exim_4.20_or_better.patch
cp src EDITME Local/Makefile

# I then edited the Local/Makefile to reflect my desires ;)

make

... and the make succeeded!

cd ../sa-exim-4.1

Edited the Makefile and changed the following values:

SACONF=/etc/exim4/sa-exim.conf	# I did not touch that, it's okay for me
SPAMC=/usr/local/bin/spamc	# Change this where your spamc is
				# Mine is in /usr/local/bin/
EXIM_SRC= ../exim-4.42/src	# I changed this as well

gmake

... and the make succeeded....

So, even though I have not read the URL you referenced above, the
instructions above should get you moving.

The only thing I see you'll miss (even though not so many people
use it) is the ability to compile SPF and SRS functionality into
Exim, which is easier done via the ports ....

And one more thing ... I don't use sa-exim in production because
policies do not allow me. I play with it in my personal box, but soon
I am going to start running it for some clients on their boxes so
that I don't get lost on the way.

Again, you are most welcome to FreeBSD ;)

-Wash

    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd.   www.wananchi.com
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121