[SA-exim] Cannot send message to self using external smtp server

Chris Purves chris at northfolk.ca
Thu Apr 13 22:10:49 PDT 2006

Sander Smeenk wrote:
> Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc at merlins.org):
>
>>> <chris at northfolk.ca>: host mail.northfolk.ca[220.234.29.148] said: 500 error
>> this reject is not from SA-Exim, it's from Exim itself. You should debug
>> your Exim config for that (and try exim-users if you need further help)
>
> Even so it is weird that disabling sa-exim makes the message go through ;)

It seemed that it was a coincidence that it worked one time when
disabling sa-exim.  Later attempts didn't get the same results.  In the
end I was able to determine that it was not my machine that was sending
the 500 error.  The messages were being rejected somewhere in the
middle.  Either my ISP or government firewalls (I live in Shanghai)
think I shouldn't be able to receive mail from myself.  You can imagine
my relief when I realised it was not a technical problem.  ;-)

--
Good day, eh.
Chris