[SA-exim] return path not passed to spamassassin

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Wed Mar 22 09:28:22 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 08:54:32AM -0800, Chris Purves wrote:
> I have had the problem that SPF checking does not work when spamassassin
> is called from exim.  It works fine when running spamc after a message
> has been delivered.  I believe that I have tracked the problem down to
> the return path not being added to the headers by exim until after
> spamassassin is finished.

Yes, that would make sense.

> It seems to me that this is something sa-exim should have configured
> automatically...of course it's just as likely something I should have
> configured but didn't.

SA-Exim can only work with what it receives from exim. If Exim hasn't added
the header yet, SA-Exim won't see it and pass it on to SA

> I found this thread that discusses the same problem.
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Availability-of-return-path-to-Exiscan-t49803.html
>
> Please provide suggestions as to the best way to solve this.

SA-Exim already puts the sender_address in X-SA-Exim-Mail-From:
You could slightly modify SA to read that header instead of the non existent
Return-Path

Marc

PS: Sorry again about the delay, I've had little extra time recently