[SA-exim] undefined vars in Greylisting.pm

Andreas Vögele avo at trustsec.de
Thu Feb 8 00:25:03 PST 2007

Marc Merlin writes:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:54:51AM +0100, Andreas Vögele wrote:
>> Marc MERLIN writes:
>>
>> > SA-Exim is mostly useless if you use fetchmail.
>>
>> With the small patch that I posted a while ago, sa-exim works quite
>> well with fetchmail.  See
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.exim.spamassassin/991/
>
> But how is that useful compared to a system wide spamassassin router unless
> you have a weird setup where your MX also gets mails injected via fetchmail,
> but does anyone really do that?

We have to use fetchmail in addition to SMTP on one of our MTAs.  The
great thing about Exim is that you can do weird things easily.  In a
perfect world, I'd use Postfix instead of Exim.

> I still don't get how SA-Exim can ever be the right tool for the job
> as far as fetchmail is concerned. It can be made to work, but I'm
> not sure why? :)

It doesn't make sense to use SA-Exim if fetchmail is the only means of
retrieving mail.  But if you would like to greylist SMTP connections
and also have to use fetchmail SA-Exim is a good choice.

Or is there another Greylisting solution for Exim (that greylists
after DATA)?  Debian's greylistd is no alternative since it is bug
ridden.