[SA-exim] Delete old Spam Mails

Greg Hill gregh at hillnet.us
Thu Jan 4 07:30:41 PST 2007

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 Axel.Mueller at t-systems.com wrote:

> I've set in sa-exim.conf the setting
>
> SAmaxarchivebody: 20971520
>
> But my Mail"archive" is now about 30 MB. Is a cron job necessary to
> delete the old mails?

I think maybe there's a misunderstanding about the effect of this setting
(it isn't described well in the sa-exim.conf comments).

After looking at the function int savemail(int readfd, char *filename, int
SAmaxarchivebody) in
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/files/local_scan/local_scan.c_1.2, it
appears that this setting limits size of each message -- in other words,
only the first ~20 MB (in this case) of any message will be written.  It
doesn't limit how many such messages will exist, and so it doesn't limit
the total archive size on disk.

Yes, I think a cron job to delete old stuff would be appropriate.

Greg