[SA-exim] undefined vars in Greylisting.pm

John Bro harroun at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 14:59:14 PST 2007

Hello all,

 I just joined, because I just started using SA-Exim and spamd,
and greylisting on my home mail server (Debian Etch)
(where I'm the only user), and although it seems to be performing
quite nicely (i.e. spam is being blocked, greylisted messages get
through when they should, or get dumped when they're spam)...

There are a  couple complaints (documented below) that have me
stumped. Each message produces these complaints from perl:

 Jan 22 21:02:03 jhbro spamd[3013]: Use of uninitialized value in
   concatenation (.) or string at
   /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/Greylisting.pm line 176,
   <GEN26> line 57.

 Jan 22 21:02:03 jhbro spamd[3013]: Use of uninitialized value in
   concatenation (.) or string at
   /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/Greylisting.pm line 177,
   <GEN26> line 57.

and each time, the same 2 messages 2 seconds later.
The lines of Greylisting.pm in question are as follows:

172: $connectip =~ /(\d+)\.(\d+)\.(\d+)\.(\d+)/;
173: my ($ipbyte1, $ipbyte2, $ipbyte3, $ipbyte4) = ($1, $2, $3, $4);
174: my $ipdir1 = "$option{'dir'}/$ipbyte1";
175: # --------------------------
176: my $ipdir2 = "$ipdir1/$ipbyte2";
177: my $ipdir3 = "$ipdir2/$ipbyte3";

So clearly, something in the regexp coming up empty.
Also, sometimes, (although not at exactly the same time)
I see this problem:

 Jan 22 21:25:59 jhbro spamd[3013]: Couldn't get Connecting IP
   header X-SA-Exim-Connect-IP for message
   <GRIPSOU75iMaUfOImd10016421f at smtp2.dmz.local>,
   skipping greylisting call

The absence of a connectip/Connect-IP seems to relate the two
complaints.. but I see headers for SA-Exim-Connect-IP in the message,
and the Received headers contain IP numbers.. I don't get it.

Finally, one more completely independent issue:
(that I probably should have put in a separate message..

I can't figure out how to configure things such that rejected
messages do not generate an attempt to bounce to the (? always)
bogus From: address.  It would appear that I am accepting messages
rather than rejecting them at SMTP time, and thus exim things it has
to send back an "undeliverable".  Where have I enabled this??

For the moment it causes no serious problems because I can't figure
out how to get properly authenticated to my smarthost with exim
either!

(while. pine talks authenticated esmtps directly to the smarthost
with no problems).

So, when exim4  tries to bounce a message, the smarthost refuses, so
no innocent bystanders are getting hit with collateral spam.

But, the day I figure out the auth problem,
I'll need a solution to the bouncing problem.

If somebody can help me figure this stuff out, I'll be very grateful.

- John