[SA-exim] Spam still being let through

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Tue Jan 30 03:50:56 PST 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 18:20, Timothy Arnold wrote:
> Has anyone seen this before? The spam is being let through, even though
> the score is over 5.

> 	autolearn=no version=3.1.7

These header fields are added by SA-Exim,

> Here is the part of the exim configuration which should drop the message
>
> # Reject spam messages with score over 5, using an extra condition.
> drop    message = This message has a spam score of $spam_score points
>         spam = nobody:true
>         condition = ${if >={$spam_score_int}{50}{1}{0}}

but again, this has *nothing* do with SA-Exim. Even though the scores should
probably be approximately the same, there's no guarantee.

> I've configured Spamassassin on a central server and set sa-exim to use
> the remote server. Is this likely to cause issues?

No, how you configured SA-Exim has absolutely no impact on how Exim's built-in
code calls SpamAssassin. That's controlled by the spamd_address option in
exim.conf.

Or yes, if you haven't set spamd_address that could explain why the results
differ. To see exactly what score the spam condition gives you have to add
some add_header and/or logwrite modifier.

Please pick *one* of SA-Exim and the built-in spam ACL conditions. There is no
reason to use both. Basically, if you want to use the report_safe feature,
use SA-Exim. SA-Exim also lets the add_header and rewrite_header in local.cf
work, so that you don't have to configure Exim to mimic the header you get
when you run spamassassin from the command line or procmail.

Otherwise go with the build-in spam conditions.

If you decide to stay with SA-Exim, drop the drop stanza from the ACL. Also
delete all other spamassassin-related stanzas. However, you might want to set
some ACL variables to control SA-Exim.

Magnus Holmgren        holmgren at lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)