[SA-exim] Thanks for sa-exim, and a feature for the wishlist

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Wed Mar 7 07:27:13 PST 2007

[replying to the sa-exim list]

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 01:29:08PM +0100, Eduardo Diaz Comellas wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> I am a very happy user of sa-exim, and would want to thank you for this
> exceptional piece of software. It really does spam fighting easier (as you
> already know, of course).

Thanks.

> I have a few questions and a feature for the wishlist. Are you still
> developing sa-exim? I noticed that there are no new releases since Jan. 2006,
> and I don't know if this means that the project is stalled or that there are
> no bugs or feature requests. I noticed that sa-exim appears as an sponsored
> link at google, which makes me think that you still have interest on it...

I have that google link as a test, because I work at google :)
I'm not after feature creep, sa-exim does everything I need, and almost
everything other people need, so I'm not spending a lot of time for it,
but I still provide the support I can for sa-exim, and gather patches and
suggestions for when I have/take time to make a new release.

> My feature request is to be able to control the headers generated and the
> report of spamassassin. Lasts versions of exim include an spamassassin
> connector which allows to customize the headers generated while scanning the
> mail. I would love to have this feature in sa-exim.

That's the first time someone asks for this.
For now, it's not hard to do by adding/copying a few lines of C code in
sa-exim.c, but indeed not in the conf file. Adding the option to add other
random headers acts a fair amount of complexity to the parsing code.
If I get other requests for that, I might add it in the future, or I'll take
patches too :)
Another much simpler option is I can also add/hardcode a few other SA
headers that people might want. What SA headers would you like?

Cheers
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/