[SA-exim] Greylisting doesn't work anymore

Peter Thomassen mail at peter-thomassen.de
Thu May 10 13:21:31 PDT 2007

Hi.

For some reason, greylisting doesn't work anymore for some time now.

I noticed in the rejectlog that the same e-mail (the same sender, recipient,
server) has been rejected several times in many cases. To find the reason, I
checked /var/spool/sa-exim/tuplets/ and found that this directory is empty
and last modified in February, even though the server processes several
thousand mails a day. (I now disabled the feature by setting SAtempreject to
some huge value. This lets more spam in, but I can't help it at present.)

I think that the tuplet saving doesn't work for some reason, so that e-mail is
unknown again at later tries and therefore to be temporarily rejected. The
tuplet directory belongs to nobody:Debian-exim, the mode is 771. Exim runs as
root:Debian-exim, so I can't see any problem related to the mode.

Marc proposed setting the tuplet directory to 777 which didn't help.

Marc also proposed to add some debug code in the Perl module, which is
/usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/Greylisting.pm, I think.
Unfortunately, I only know Perl from reading it a bit, but I tried to add

	open (TEST, ">/tmp/debug");
	print TEST time."\n";
	close TEST;

to the beginning of the greylisting subroutine. I think this should create
a /tmp/debug file, which wasn't the case.

I don't know what to do. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!
--
      Peter Thomassen • Steigerwaldstr. 4 • 97076 Würzburg • Germany
         http://www.peter-thomassen.de/mail at peter-thomassen.de
               fon +49-931-2705351 • mobil +49-176-63159879