[SA-exim] FAQ about forwarded mail?

Magnus Holmgren holmgren at lysator.liu.se
Thu May 17 12:57:16 PDT 2007

On Thursday 17 May 2007 19:25, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> I've searched the sa-exim list archives and I've seen this issue brought
> up a few times, but never with what seemed to me to be a definitive
> clear answer about how to properly set up a system to handle forwarded
> mail.
>
> Forwarded mail is different from non-forwarded mail since rejecting
> such messages is likely to produce collateral damage, and grey listing
> such messages is actually counter-productive.
>
> Is there a simple guide to configuring sa-exim to never bounce or
> greylist forwarded mail?

I think the easiest way is to set SAEximRejCond in sa-exim.conf to something
like ${if eq{$acl_m0}{canreject}}. Then you use the power of the ACL system
to determine whether spam can be rejected or must be quarantined.

I have, after require verify = recipient,

  accept  local_parts = postmaster : abuse
  accept  hosts = +incoming_relays : ${lookup dnsdb{>:mxh=$domain}}

then some anti-spam measures such as dnslists, then

  accept  set acl_m0 = canreject

The difficulty lies in identifying forwarded mail coming from many different
places without letting in everything from Hotmail and AOL.

Magnus Holmgren        holmgren at lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)