[SA-exim] local_scan - function crashed with signal 11

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Thu Oct 8 22:12:21 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 06:24:32PM +0200, Martin Balvers wrote:
> 2009-10-07 15:24:50 1MvWVe-0004hl-9P SA: Debug3: expanded SAtempreject =
> 1048576.00
> 2009-10-07 15:24:50 1MvWVe-0004hl-9P local_scan() function crashed with
> signal 11 - message temporarily rejected (size 90)
>
> The next debug line in a message that doesn't cause local_scan to crash
> would be something like:
> SA: Debug9: Did not find X-SA-Exim- in Received: from h220-21.tijo.pl
> ([78.133.220.21])

> Other information:
> Linux mail.addicts.nl 2.6.29-xen-r4 #8 SMP Wed Sep 16 13:13:23 CEST 2009
> x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>
> exim 4.69
> sa-exim 4.2.1
>
> Seems to me that local_scan crashes in (or just before) the logic that
> looks for the X-SA-Exim- headers.
> I have looked at the code, but can't find anything wrong with it.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the detailled bugreport.

Ok, I just spent a very quick time looking at the code too (sorry, I haven't
worked on it for years, it quick of just worksforme [tm], so I've left it
alone and on other projects now).

It may very well be a 64 bit bug.

If you have time, the best way to find out what happening would be to
1) recompile sa-exim with -lefence if you have it (this should help to
   ensure it crashes in the right place and not later)
2) compile -g and without -O2
3) get a core and do a gdb bt on it to see which line it actually crashes at.

The other approach is to put a bunch of printfs between the two debug
entries and narrow down where it dies, but even there using electricfence
or equivalent is recommended so that the crash happens as soon as it should
and not later.

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/