[SA-exim] Compile SA against current exim

Torsten Mueller torsten at archesoft.de
Mon May 9 14:28:35 PDT 2011

Marc MERLIN schrieb:
> While it's a lame answer for me to give, I'm pretty sure debian has patches
> that make it work with recent exims since it's what I end up using.

So i tried my luck and probably this mail can help, if someone has the
same problem like me. Please comment, if something could be done better.

I don't run debian, but i download the sources and patches for SA from
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/sa-exim/
Today this is
sa-exim_4.2.1-13.diff.gz
and
sa-exim_4.2.1.orig.tar.gz

Download the exim sources and prepare the Makefile in the Local
directory.

untar sa-exim_4.2.1.orig.tar.gz, gunzip sa-exim_4.2.1-13.diff.gz,
change to sa-exim-4.2.1 and patch the SA sources by
patch -p1 < ../sa-exim_4.2.1-13.diff

Modify the Makefile to match the exim src and SA conf path.

Change to the exim directory and apply the patch from sa-exim-4.2.1 here:
patch -p1 < localscan_dlopen_exim_4.20_or_better.patch

Now compile exim.
In the build-* directory there is the config.h, make a symlink to
the exim src directory.

Change to the SA src directory and build SA.

If you get such an error
"/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
/tmp/cc607USB.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not
be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/tmp/cc607USB.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status"

,modify the Makefile of SA like this:
CFLAGS=-O2 -Wall -fPIC

I hope, it's o.k. to share my way this way.

Greetings Torsten