[admin] code updates and twitter support

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Thu Jan 12 14:50:12 PST 2023

Howdy,

In case you were wondering, I'm the guy who wrote the code that runs
this some 10+ years ago and I've had to adapt it a few times when
caltrans has made changes, or found new ways to unwillingly cause errors
with my code.

You may have noticed some occasional flip-flopping in some messages that
were due to 2 different problems
1) sometimes the caltrans website returned an empty result, which looked
like a change to my code and generated Emails.
2) at other times, their multiple web servers were not in sync because
their backend code is apparently unreliable, and I would randomly get 2
different status updates and then cause Emails flipopping between the
two.

I've had a bit of time to add code to hopefully deal with those 2 cases,
so this should limit future flip flop Emails.

As for twitter support, I did have it some years back until twitter
broke web access on purpose. I haven't had the time or desire to write a
bunch of custom code just to talk to twitter. I found one linux command
line twitter client, but it's interactive only for now:
https://github.com/orakaro/rainbowstream/issues/339

If/when I have time, I'll see if I can spend more time on this amongst
my other higher priorities.

Hope you enjoy the site and Emails.

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/