[Empeg-general] Re: empeg suck's

Henno Putto henno.empeg@xs4all.nl
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 10:21:00 GMT

> kinda hard to have a translation error when you are using words like "sucks"...

I disagree, Kureg.

While learning any foreign language is difficult enough in itself and requires a lot of hard effort learn even a very basic vocabulary, coming to grips with the subtleties and emotions of a language is of a very different magnitude. This is complicated by the fact taht there are significant differences between languages in the way sentences are constructed (sequence of words; differences between should/would/will; choice to use simple negates as no/not or never; etc). In many languages (including English) the sentence construct is important to convey the way the speaker/writer wants to come across. Unfortunately the emotions that are associated with these constructs have very different meanings in certain languages.

Thus, the very constructs that are intended to show an interest in some languages, sound very harsh on others. Looking back over the this thread and how it started,is an example of such language differences, I think.

Henno
mk2 > 6 nr 6

PS: Maybe Paul shoud add the suck-word to the list of censored words  :-)