[Empeg-general] Re: Turn On/Off Thump

Tony Fabris tfabris@jps.net
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 07:36:00 GMT

> Does anybody have a suggestion for a good cap value to try to test my spike theory?

Well, I have an entire thread on the subject of caps and stuff <A HREF="http://empeg.comms.net/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=empeg_tech&Number=3650&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post3650" target="_new">here</A>, but my concern is that you started off with no thump problem, then you started having a thump when you tried wiring your radio power to the Empeg's amp remote. You shouldn't need to wire any capacitors with the Mark 2 unless something else is wrong.

I fear that by wiring a high-amperage line (the red lead from your other stereo) to the relatively low-capacity amp remote line (on the empeg), you may have damaged something which is making the thump happen now.

Can you draw us a diagram of the system's wiring scheme and post it here so we can see what we're dealing with?

If you still want to go the capacitor route, remember that you need a rectifier/diode as well. <A HREF="http://empeg.comms.net/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=empeg_tech&Number=3657&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post3657" target="_new">Here</A> are the capacitor values, and <A HREF="http://empeg.comms.net/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=empeg_tech&Number=3667&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post3667" target="_new">here</A> is the proper schematic as to how to wire them with the diodes. Although this is a simplified wiring diagram for an empeg-only installation. Yours would be much more complicated since you have multiple head units.

<A HREF="http://www.jps.net/tfabris" target="_new">Tony Fabris</A>_