[Empeg-general] Re: battery symbol top left

Douglas Burnside burnside@alaska.net
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:06:00 GMT

> On most modern cars, the engine idle speed shouldn't be changed.

I was going to make the same point, until I went back and re-read the original post:

> If i'm in stop and go trafic with my Honda Prelude 71...

I don't think a 30 year old car quite qualifies as "modern".   But wait a minute...  could that have been a typo?  I don't think they made Preludes in 1971, did they?  Tony, you're the Honda man, you'd know better than I.  I had a 1982 Prelude a long time ago, and it was not only not controlled by any electronics, it was carbureted, and the idle speed was freely adjustable.  You are correct, though, on modern cars, the engine idle speed not only shouldn't be changed, on many cars it cannot be changed--it is entirely controlled by the engine management computer.

In any case, I'll stay with my original suggestion:  loose alternator drive belt.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"