[Empeg-general] Re: Backing up MP3's off Empeg

Douglas Burnside burnside@alaska.net
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:42:00 GMT

> So what's called for here, is a utility in emplode that pulls out a copy of the empeg contents, perhaps in an encrypted form, stream it out, break it up into ZIP disk sized chunks, or onto a CD burner.

But, Calvin -- 36 gigabytes would require 360 zip 100 MB ZIP disks.  Assuming that somebody would want to hang around and copy that many disks, the expense would be such that you could afford to buy a second empeg as a backup storage device and use the empeg clone utility to copy your music over to it -- and still have enough money left to buy an amp and a subwoofer.

The CD burner idea might be more practical, it would only take about 50--60 CDRs to store 36 GB, but it would require a full 8-hour day to do it, and it would require a $100 CD burner (are they cheaper than that now?) and about $30 worth of media.

Better way would be to buy a 40 GB hard drive for about $200 (ebay?) and make that a dedicated empeg storage device on your PC.  That's what I'll do when my music collection finally outruns the current storage on my PC.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"