[Empeg-general] Re: Backing up MP3's off Empeg

Wire@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org Wire@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:12:00 GMT

Newbie here (and just ordered my Empeg) ...

I think this whole copyprotection-thing is pretty stupid. I understand the legal implications concerned, if the guys@empeg should offer direct downloading of files off the device.

But the backing up of the device is not stupid. Why should I put my entire collection of MP3s on a duplicate disc, and back it up from there?

I don't keep a local copy of all the files on my server. The copy goes to a tape.

The same will happen when I get the Empeg. And I can't see it being that hard to do, as the Empeg has both ethernet and an open operating system.

On the discussion about being able to download MP3s from the device (I interpret is as "to give them to your friends"), I can't see that stopping anyone. The MP3 comes from somewhere, and from that somewhere, you can give it to your friends. So the "protection" on the Empeg doesn't solve the piracy problem.

//Wire