[Empeg-general] Re: Coolant leak

Douglas Burnside burnside@alaska.net
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 00:33:00 GMT

> head gasket related recall,

Yeah, I know about that one.  Unfortunately, it is for 94--95 models only (in the Taurus line;  other cars using the same engine, i.e, Windstar and Continental) have different recall parameters) and even if my car were in the allowable model year range, it has too many miles to be covered.  Sigh.

Don't know for certain yet that it _is_ head gaskets, but given the history of the 3.8 liter engine, chances are better than even that it is.  I could just keep pouring coolant into it, but if it is a head gasket it is going to get worse pretty quickly, and even if it doesn't get worse it will ruin my O2 sensor and my catalytic converters if I don't take care of it.

On a topic just barely peripherally related to coolant leaks...  does anybody know whether gasoline will attack the plastic in a typical one-gallon antifreeze container?  I have a storage compartment in my car that is the perfect size to hold such a container, but a standard gasoline container won't fit there.  I am running a test now, with an antifreeze container full of gasoline sitting out in the driveway, but maybe somebody already knows this?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"