[Empeg-general] Re: ETA for WMA?

ClownBurner@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org ClownBurner@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 20:20:00 GMT

As much as I hate to admit it (I'm no M$ fan), I did a very detailed comparison between MP3 (Xing encoder, 160k VBR) and WMA (96k), and I have to say I was very impressed. The WMA file was 50% smaller and I couldn't detect any real differences - even on my Seinnheiser HD600's fed with my external Tube headphone amp (a very revealing setup!). Converting from VBR MP3 to WMA was less successful - it sounded OK but the file ended up as 16+ minutes for some reason. Hmm.

Micro$oft's hegemony aside, it's a very cool format.