[Empeg-general] Re: Equally weighted artists? Here's how.

hybrid8@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org hybrid8 at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 05:11:00 GMT

Excellent work around Tony.  BUT, what an enormous pain in the butt!

The player definitely has some shuffle issue to deal with.  I am getting a bunch of songs by the same artist far too close together for my own liking.  It isn't because I've got a disporportionate amount of material from those artists either.

Re-shuffling can cause this to happen to other artists for instance.  On the way back from work tonight is seemed to be an Oasis fest.  In 20 songs It hit at least 4 by Oasis.  One day on the way to work, in about 10 songs it hit 3 by Bob Marley.

Now, with a true random, there's bound to be cases like this once in a while.  But I've got a lot of stuff on my player and quite a few loose tracks plus compilation albums.  As has been speculated in other threads, I think something's still a bit fishy.  Of course, the ultimate would be a less "random" shuffle that did a little work to make sure things were a little more spread out.  There's plenty that can be done to help with the problem, but some stuff could significantly slow down the shuffle process.  I'm just hoping for a small compromise that would make things even a bit better - doesn't have to be perfect.

Bruno