[Empeg-general] Re: Genres

yn0t_@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org yn0t_ at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 02:44:00 GMT

re are two products which do this.

Yeah, but they both stink.    Tag & Rename only lets you get information for an entire album and makes you find the info in IE anyway...  And MusicMatch won't let you apply only certain fields, so if one of theirs is wrong (and the genre is *always* wrong) you can't help but accept their incorrect genres.  Though I didn't know MusicMatch was based on allmusic.com's database...  Funny how the search algorithm on allmusic.com stinks, yet it seems to be somewhat okay on MusicMatch.  By the time you correct their errors, you're better off looking it up on Allmusic yourself.

The hardest field by far to fill out is the Year field.  Genres you can figure out yourself from knowing the song, but the year has to be found online somewhere...  Haven't found a real easy way to fill it out just yet, so a lot of my year fields are blank right now.  Sometimes it's correct in CDDB/freedb, often it's not.

No magic bullet, it seems.