[Empeg-general] Problem: Sound Quality with FM Modulator

ftp222@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org ftp222 at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 04:32:00 GMT

I recently had my Mk2a professionally installed and am having a serious problem with the sound quality.  Hopefully someone here can help or provide some tips I may try.

I have a 2002 Mercedes C230 with the upgraded Bose stereo system, so unfortunately the only option I had was to install the Empeg with an FM Modulator.  I had this done at a local shop which did an incredible job on how the unit looks, however the sound is horrible.  As long as I leave the volume at around -10 db or below on the Empeg, the sound is fine, but once I crank the sound anywhere above -5 db there is serious distortion and becomes unbearable.  The reason I cannot just leave the volume at -10 db is because the sound is not very loud, even with the head unit cranked up all the way.  The install was done with an Audiovox FMM100 FM Modulator, which the installer told me was better than the Clarion Modulator.  All wiring to and from the FM Modulator was double checked by the installer, so there are no loose wires.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with an FM Modulator install?  Can anyone recommend a modulator that will work better?  Has anyone had any success with an FM Modulator with this unit?

Before everyone yells at me for using an FM Modulator, which I did not want to do, this is the only way that it can be done in this car.  There is no CD Changer adapter made for the Mercedes Fiber Optic system so that was not an option.  Also I thought about running the head unit into the Aux-In of the Empeg and got shot down because the output of the head unit is fiber optic and runs to 4 separate amplifiers which convert this signal just before it hits the speaker.  So the only other option is to replace the head unit and all of the speakers in the car, which I want to do, but don’t have $1000 right now.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide!
Matt