[Empeg-general] Re: ANother "Read the FAQ" question:

Tony Fabris tfabris at jps.net
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:55:00 GMT

but if I'm causing problems I'll bring the unit in out of the cold.

Correct. The FAQ entry I linked suggested this very thing.

Is it a thermal trigger that stops the unit or just the reluctance of the disks to work due to the cold?

Again, the FAQ entry I linked states that the thermal trigger feature is not functional on the car player. So when the player can't find the hard disks, it's the disks' problem, not a thermal trigger.

I do not know if this is a mechanical failure of the disks, or if it's just a dodgy connector becoming more dodgy because of thermal shrinkage. (I know, I know, we've all had the thermal shrinkage problem when we get into a cold swimming pool...)