[Empeg-general] Re: Sorry about our Canadian Friends...

genixia@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org genixia at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:06:00 GMT

This is interesting though - the whole purpose of tariffs on recordable media is to compensate the music industry for copyright infringement that may occur using it.

So if I've paid $21/GB, does that mean I'm within my rights (*) to rip *any* CD I like and stick it on my player. After all, they've already been compensated by me for the infringement. The fact that I've compensated them on a per-capacity basis suggests that they have based this compensation on the amount of music that I could stick on a player.

This might turn around and bite them where it hurts.

*assuming that I'm Canadian, (which I'm not).