[Empeg-general] Re: Custom Lenses (Still...(Going, Going, Gone......))

Tony Fabris tfabris at jps.net
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 21:47:00 GMT

Hmmm! An interesting side-effect of these panels...

Some of the panels (the colored ones, but not the smoke and clear ones), are made of that semi-fluorescent plastic often used for signage. It's the stuff that looks transparent face-on, but the cut edges will spread and reflect light very effectively. If you know the kind of plastic I'm talking about, then you'll know that when hit with light (just about any light), the cut edges practically glow with diffuse light. It's often used as a "poor man's neon" for signage and store displays.

The way Stephen has cut these neon-colored panels, their edges are sculpted to fit into the molded fascia, so the edges around the fascia are this "glowing" neon color.

But that's not the best part...

The best part is that the backlighting for Brian's backlit buttons lights it all up very brightly. It's rather awesome looking. I'll have to do some extra photos this weekend with the lighting turned on. The neon red is rather striking, very entertaining to look at. The VFD image ends up being a rather nice violet shade, the edges of the display have this nice pinkish-neon-red glow to them, and then the buttons are lit up blue. Too cool...