[Empeg-general] Re: Re-rip my cd's ... info needed ... loss-less comp?

Tony Fabris tfabris at jps.net
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:14:00 GMT

The lossless compression schemes available at this time only buy you about 50%, in terms of storage space, over raw WAV.

If I were you, I would calculate the amount of required space for just storing it all as WAV files. Then I would see if it'd even do you any good to save it as one of the lossless schemes. If 50% is not enough, then it's a moot point.

Besides, storing it as WAV or lossless doesn't really buy you any time or any "loss of hassle" when you want to re-encode. In fact, it's probably more time and hassle than it would be if you just left everything on the original CDs...