[Empeg-general] Re: Re-rip my cd's ... info needed ... loss-less c

grgcombs@empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org grgcombs at empegbbs-noreply.merlins.org
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:07:00 GMT

I've been toying with FLAC since last night and it sure seems sweet AND easy to use.  Looks like it's right up my alley.  The only problem that's holding me back at the moment is an issue with ID3 tags.  Looking in freedb or whatever, I see the reference to my CD, it's got all the proper information with genre and year, and the rest.

When running GRIP, it pulls up almost all of this information, but for some reason omits the genre and year.  The normal cd player under redhat in fact does pull up the genre and year information correctly tor this CD.

After some looking late last night, I found that GRIP doesn't support ID3v2 out of the box, but there's a patch.  After applying the patch, I looked at the source and it SHOULD now be getting the genre and year information.  However, even with the new build it doesn't appear to work, still.

*** Tag information for Let Me Touch You For Awhile.flac
=== TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Let Me Touch You For Awhile
=== TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): New Favorite
=== TYER (Year): 0
=== TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
=== TCON (Content type): (12)
=== COMM (Comments): (ID3v1 Comment)[XXX]: Created by Grip
=== TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Alison Krauss + Union Station

Anyone got any other recommendations of Gui'd rippers (if possible) in linux that are more exhaustive in collecting id3 tags?

Greg