PlayStream

agdrewes@i... agdrewes at i...
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 03:39:19 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., tivo_extract@p... wrote:
> --- In ExtractStream@y..., Ben Runnels <benr@e...> wrote:
> > Does PlayStream work on the DirecTivo?
>
> The simple answer:
>
> n.o.

I have successfully used ExtractStream to pull a raw tyStream from my
DirecTiVo box to my Linux box, and then used a very lightly modified
ConvertStream (with only the checksum checking disabled) to create an
audio and video file. The video file plays *flawlessly* with mplayer
under Linux. Yes, I was stunned at this. The audio file plays very
recognizably but with significant defects under mpg123: the audio
plays too fast (as if some frames were missing) and it has some clicks
and pops. I have not been able to recombine the streams using mplex
for a couple of reasons, but until the audio extraction is perfected
there is little point to combining things anyway. In my opinion,
somebody with a clue about mpeg audio (not me) could probably get the
code to extract the audio perfectly with just a little bit of hacking
on ConvertStream.

I think this is very exciting . . . while it lasts. Right now, it is
*almost* possible to get an extraction of an end-to-end digital
broadcast of your favorite programs! The hard part is done--video is
working flawlessly already. Only the audio isn't quite there, and
then all that remains is combining them with something like mplex.

If anyone has more current information about extracting from DirecTivo
boxes, I'd love to hear it.

Rich

Disclaimer: I do not advocate that you do anything illegal with this
capability, and I certainly do not intend to. My intent is to be able
to have a digital version of my favorite programs for my own personal
use. I can already save these same programs to a VCS tape, but I
don't like tape.