[ExtractStream] Re: Extracted Quality?

Jonathan C. Brewer jcb at c...
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 17:53:04 -0500

Has anyone had any luck using the httpd.tcl method of getting the stream?
I right click on the stream in my browser, and save to file. What
is it saving? Is this a raw Stream that I now need to use something else
on? Please help!

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Reed [mailto:daler@n...]
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2001 2:00 PM
To: ExtractStream@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [ExtractStream] Re: Extracted Quality?

> I use NFS to transfer files from my Tivo to my Windows machine.

What kind of performance are you getting with NFS? I tried the SOSSNT,
but I couldn't pull more than about 15MB/min with it. I couldn't get the
SMB
mounts to work with XP, either.

I use the ExtractStream Raw extraction and ConvertStream on Win32, with
netcat between them. It works really well and I can get 58MB/min transfer
speeds (nearly 10MB wire speed).

On the tivo:

ExtractStream -s xxxxx | nc -n -w 3 1.2.3.4 1200

on my WinXP box:

nc -l -p 1200 | convertstream -s movie

This produces movie.m2a and movie.m2v. I'm working on incorporating
mplex into the bundle so that I can create the single mpg2 resultant file on
the fly w/out intermediate files and ALL processing is done on the win32
side.

BTW, ConvertStream isn't my program. I've just hacked it to work
on Win32. You can get more details of it from:

http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/tivo/

Dale