[ExtractStream] more than 2 gigs extracted = not possible on linux?

sharkey@a... sharkey at a...
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:37:54 -0400

> I'm using extractstream to pull video from my tivo to a linux machine.
> I've had the stream stopped many times and I've found that there's a 2 gig
> file size maximum on linux,

This is not true. Well, not exactly true anyway.

"linux" has full support for >2GB files. However, many programs designed
to run on (i386) Linux use 32 bit file pointers, and these programs will
not work properly with large files. They need to be recoded to use
64 bit file pointers instead. It's not a kernel/OS issue, it's an
application/libc issue.

> Highest quality that's over an hour, it isnot possible to extract it into
> a single file. Anyone find a way around this other than just record at
> lower quality settings?

There are four ways around this. You can:

1) Re-code the application to use 64-bit file pointers.
2) Upgrade to a 64-bit native platform (e.g. Alpha or Ultrasparc)
3) Find a new application which already has 64-bit file pointer
support (I think Broadcast 2000 does).
4) If your application doesn't require seeking, use named pipes.
Use cat or head to dump data into a named pipe and read from the
pipe with your application.

Eric