[ExtractStream] Re: ExtractStream Issue HELP!

Dale Reed daler at n...
Sun, 02 Dec 2001 16:36:17 -0800

Ken Hancock wrote:

> Drive addition is certainly a possibility, depending on how you added
> it. As the sectors on your disk get used and ExtractStream seeks to
> the next sector, if it crosses a partition boundry and the partitions
> aren't correct, you'll get hosed -- that's what happened to me with
> MFS Tools restore.
>
> I'm doing this from memory, but if you do:
>
> bash-2.03$ od -a -N 512 /dev/hda10
>
> You should see the ascii output of the first 512 bytes of
> your /dev/hda10 partition. If you look in the ascii, you'll see a
> list of linked partitions in the order that they're used.
>
> Now if you fire up ExtractStream to do an extraction, you'll see a
> list of partitions it's using with the number of sectors on each
> partition. If the parition order doesn't match what "od" gave you
> above, or if there's another parition in the ExtractStream list which
> isn't in the "od" list, then you'll get garbage.

I wrote a quick little tivo app that will display the mfslist for you.
You can get it from:

http://www.ntworld.com/tivo/mfslist

Just run it list:

./mfslist /dev/hda10

and it will display your mfslist. Works here on a Tivomad upgraded
tivo 2.5.1 system. I used some hints from the moded sendstream to
create it and fix a location issue I was having.

Dale