[ExtractStream] What is most likely a FAQ...

Dale Reed daler at n...
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:07:16 -0800

> > At best, you'll get a 115k connection over the serial port,
> > which is about 2x the speed of a 56k modem and 1/3 to 1/10th the speed
> > of TivoNET (TivoNET speeds generally fall into the 300k-1M transfer
> > range, depending on your specific network).
>
> The TivoNET speeds are significantly faster than that. They're
> 300K-1M B/s, not b/s (the units for the serial port/modem speeds).

I pull just a shade under 1 megabyte/sec from my tivo. I can pull an hour
show off my tivo in about 15-20 minutes. There is a windows app that
will bulk extract shows off your tivo for you. I just wake up in the
morning and everything I want is on my PC in final mpg format.

For all those interested in this, get a tivonet. I can't imagine that the
pain and torture you are going to put yourself through with a second
drive extraction/copy (turning your tivo on an off all the time) or the
dreaded serial port, would be worth it.

Dale