Understanding the TivoNet Process

MT fontpro at u...
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 17:23:05 -0800

Hello,

Anyone on the list using a Mac for this?

I have read in a few forums of others TivoNeting and extractstreaming on
a Mac. But I haven't found any details.

I can run Linux on my G4 if required. I also can run windows 98.

I only have a cloudy understanding of the set-up process. Maybe non-Mac
users can tell me if I'm understanding this process correctly:

1) Install TivoNet Hardware in Tivo (I have the Philips 212)

2) Install Linux software on Tivo A drive (I believe that this is done
when the drive is installed in a computer under Linux only?) Or can this
be done via Serial FTP, Telnet, etc?

I'm guessing this can't be done on a Mac, since there is no floppy any
more, and the Linux Floppy described on the TivoNet site is used to
install the software?

3) I'm guessing at this point whether I'm using a PC (Linux or Windows)
or a Mac, all we will be doing it networking via ethernet. So it
shouldn't care what OS I'm running?

4) My main reason to get TivoNet is to burn VCDs. I'm not really sure
what software Mac users are using on the Mac side. I can always run what
ever apps in Windows 98.

So, If what I'm thinking is correct, I only need Linux for the initial
Tivonet set-up. Then the rest of the process can be done in Windows.

Thanks in advance for the info. Just ordered my Tivonet card.

Mac