error converting m2v to m1v

junior15 junior15 at m...
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:57:02 -0000

OK, I had quite a bit of trouble getting all the pieces of this to
work, but I've been going through the directions on the 9th tee web
page and I think I'm getting most of it. I've got the httpd.tcl
running. The next section on the web page talks about esdirect. I
setup my web browser like it says, but when I click on an FSID to
watch the show, my web browser just shows a lot of junk (looks like
it is showing me the actual contents of the file rather than playing
the file with esdirect). Since there were other options of
extracting the shows, I moved on.
Using ExtractStream on my Tivo, I got the m2v and m2a files on my
Linux PC (via TivoNet). The next section of the web page talks
about netmplex. I ran that and it appears to have worked. My tivo
finished the extraction, but netmplex doesn't quit when
ExtractStream is done, so I pressed CTRL-C to quit netmplex. This
left me with an MPEG2 file (I left the component files on my linux
box just in case). That's all well and good, but what do I do with
an MPEG2 file? I'm looking to put my shows on VCD for later
viewing, so I moved on through the instructions. The next section
on mplex shows how to get another MPEG2 file (which I don't want) so
I past that section and got to Transcoding MPEG2 Elemental and
Program Streams toMPEG1. Since MPEG1 is what is needed for VCD's
(as far as I know), this sounded promising. Once I finally got a
working version of mpeg2dec working with the YUVh option, I thought
I was home free. I ran the command "cat alias.m2v | mpeg2dec -o
YUVh | mpeg2enc -s -r 24 -o alias.m1v" and got this error "**ERROR:
Could not read YUV4MPEG header: bad header magic!". I've tried this
on 3 different shows (2 - 1 hour shows and 1 - 2 hour movie) with
the same results. The command to transcode the audio worked just
fine. Since the next command is to mplex the 2 MPEG1 files
together, this is where I get stuck at. I'm not sure what else I
can do to get this to work correctly. I have been working on this
all weekend and have had a tough time almost every step of the way,
and from what I can see from the messages posted to this group, a
lot of people have this working.

If anybody can help me figure out how to get my m2v file to an m1v
file, I would greatly apprecaite it as it appears that is the only
thing that is impeding my VCD creation.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Daniel
junior15@m...