[ExtractStream] Re: Tivo capability in a PC

Rob Royse rob at r...
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 23:03:57 -0600

I have only had the card a few days now, but let me see if I can answer your
questions:

1.	I personally have not experienced the problems they reference in
that particular review, but I tend to prefer dual processing Intel
solutions, as I have found the chipsets for the AMD platform to leave quite
a bit to be desired. The AMD platform, while speedy, is not famous for
compatibility/stability/reliability when it comes to video. This is not the
fault of AMD proper, but rather the supporting chipsets and motherboards. I
suppose that is a debate for another day in another forum, so I won't
digress further... :-)

2.	The guide feature seems to work pretty well. I haven't "put it
through it's paces completely" but It does a good job of scanning the range
and adding channels, and the interface is intuitive. In some respects, it's
overall setup is MUCH easier than Tivo - MUCH faster, if nothing else.

3.	The remote works AMAZINGLY well. The range is EXCELLENT, and it has
a directional pad similar to that of the Tivo that doubles as a cursor
control on screen. You have left and right click buttons, and it's as if you
have a mouse with you in your easy chair. You can literally manipulate your
PC from quite a distance. It uses USB for the antenna, and then RF between
the antenna and the remote itself, so it *IS NOT* line of sight.

I purchased the card from buy.com for around $330.00 - I am thrilled with it
so far. Is it a "Tivo Killer"? No, not in my opinion, but they are somewhat
different products. It does, however, make a viable home theatre PC all that
more viable though. Inputs abound, so you could easily add it to an existing
system and make easy manual captures with outstanding quality.

The missing link is the device control. If I knew more about interface
programming, I would take it on myself. I just don't. I can't imagine it is
that hard to do though. If Tivo managed to add serial control for Sony DSS
and IR control for everything else in Linux, a Windows port of that
functionality can't be that hard!!!

Rob