ExtractStream and PlayStream failing on every sector in a DTivo

jeremyjgordonhome jgordon at s...
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 08:26:10 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "eric2048" <Eric2048@a...> wrote:
> I am using a 3-week old Hughes DTivo box, running Tivo 2.5.1, bash
> enabled on the serial port, TivoNet and TivoWeb installed, no
space
> upgrade.
>
> I have tried both ExtractStream (Nov 9, 2001 version from
> http://home.earthlink.net/~garyw90/TivoApp.html) and PlayStream
0.1b
> (Jan 14, 2001) and they both complain about not finding the FSID
in
> the sector(s).

<<snip>>

I'm having a similar problem on a few week old Sony 2.5.1 SA box
(not DTivo). About half the time I can successfully extract data,
but the other time it's a total failure with almost identical
messages to what you report.

I've gone so far as to get a linux build environment for the TiVo
setup, and modify the ExtractStream source to try and see if the
calculation for FSID->physical offset is off, but no success yet. I
also wrote a small app that waits for a TCP connection and then
fufills requests for arbitrary size and offset data from /dev/hdXX.
(The theory here being to write applications to browse the raw
contents of mfs disks in DevStudio instead of the whole cross-
compiler dealie).

I've posted a few times here recently (browse back the archive like
10-15 messages) but you're the first person to report similar
problems.

I'm wondering if it's only occurring on new/factory 2.5.1 machines?

Let me know if you figure anything out; I'm (...ok, my wife is...)
anxious to start archiving to SVCD :)

I'm also keen to write a small TiVo app that does the tyConvert
thingie on demand served up over HTTP so I can watch MPEG streams on
my computer while she watches TV or other previously recorded
programs on the TiVo.

Regards,

Jeremy