ExtractStream and PlayStream failing on every sector in a DTivo

eric2048 Eric2048 at a...
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 06:52:19 -0000

I am using a 3-week old Hughes DTivo box, running Tivo 2.5.1, bash
enabled on the serial port, TivoNet and TivoWeb installed, no space
upgrade.

I have tried both ExtractStream (Nov 9, 2001 version from
http://home.earthlink.net/~garyw90/TivoApp.html) and PlayStream 0.1b
(Jan 14, 2001) and they both complain about not finding the FSID in
the sector(s).

I have confirmed that I am using the correct FSID (119309) three
ways. I tried:
1) Browsing the MFS using TivoWeb (MFS -> Recording -> Now Showing ->
pick the show from the list of shows -> find the "Part" line and
click on its link -> find the "File" line and read the FSID from it.
2) Manually repeating #1 using tivosh, mls /Recording/Complete,
mls /Recording/NowShowing, dumpobj to find the "Part" definition, and
then dumpobj to find the "File" definition (takes a few tries because
my DTivo reboots after each dumpobj).
3) Running the TivoApp "ShowList.tcl" utility, reading the FSID from
the <Part> line.
4) Running TivoApp on my PC and watching it telnet over to the DTivo
to run ShowList.tcl, grab the FSID, and watching it
attempt `ExtractStream –s 119309'.

In all 4 cases, the FSID came out as 119309. Some examples of the
fail case:
cd /var/hack/bin
./ExtractStream 119309
Attempting to locate tyStream with fsid 0x1d20d...
Sector FSID passed (0x1d20d) failed to match the FSID value in the
sector (0x0).
Trying next block
Sector FSID passed (0x1d20d) failed to match the FSID value in the
sector (0x0).
Trying next block
Sector FSID passed (0x1d20d) failed to match the FSID value in the
sector (0x0).
Trying next block
Sector FSID passed (0x1d20d) failed to match the FSID value in the
sector (0x4df
). Trying next block
Sector FSID passed (0x1d20d) failed to match the FSID value in the
sector (0x4df
). Trying next block
...etc...

cd /var/hack/playstream
./PlayStream 119309
Attempting to locate tyStream with fsid 119309...
Sector FSID passed (1d20d) failed to match the FSID value in the
sector (0).
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 ................
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 ................
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 91 23 1e
bc .............#..
a9 dd 19 85 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 ................
...etc...

Now, I have searched several online forums and have not yet seen
anyone stuck at this point. I have read that ExtractStream only works
5% of the time on DTivos, and that in some cases it will only Extract
the beginning portion of a show because it runs into sectors that
don't match the FSID. I specifically have delayed any sort of space
upgrade on this DTivo because I understand there is a concern that
ExtractStream has trouble with expanded drives and/or secondary
drives.

If this is an unsolved problem I'd be happy to dig into it deeper to
see if I can fix this, but I first wanted to see if I am just using
an old version or using these tools incorrectly.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Eric