[ExtractStream] Re: My Dangerous Idea - A technical question, not a legal question

sharkey@a... sharkey at a...
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 01:37:04 -0400

> > Unfortunately, there's a lot he's claimed to have done that, AFAIK, he
> > hasn't released. That's part of the reason that ExtractStream exists,
> > in the first place. Tridge didn't want to release his version for
> > reasons I don't agree with.
>
> Well, it's his call

Yes, it's his call, but his logic is still just plain wrong. He sees and
likes Tivo and want's to protect Tivo, and takes actions which protect
Tivo's business model, and never realizes that Tivo and Tivo's business
model are not the same.

Tivo's choice of business model is fundamentally flawed. They should
require the subscription service subscription as a condition of purchase
the same way that enable BestBuy to sell PC's for $499.00 or whatever.
That's a sound business model.

Just hoping that people will sign up after buying the device and then
obfuscating the code and making it difficult for people to build on what
they get (as Tridge himself has done for his Australian listings and
therefore must acknowledge guide data hackability to be a desirable feature
for more than just avoiding fees) is not a good idea. As a consumer, I'm
frustrated, and as a programmer I'm alienated.

So while I support Tridge's right to not release this code, I still think
it's a misguided decision.

Eric