[ExtractStream] Re: My Dangerous Idea - A technical question, not a legal question

Carlos Fernández Sanz cfernandez at m...
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 07:47:28 +0200

Eric,

> Yes, it's his call, but his logic is still just plain wrong. He sees and
> likes Tivo and want's to protect Tivo, and takes actions which protect

Actually so do I. I bought some Tivo stock so I hope Tivo does well.

> Tivo's choice of business model is fundamentally flawed. They should

Here I agree.
But until they change their business model, I believe it's reasonable to
think that releasing all that Tridge has done (and the rest of non-releasing
guys, for that matter) would harm Tivo.
Still: While Tridge and the rest of the gang (sorphin, alex, mbm and others)
won't release their stuff to the *public*, they are happy to share it with
fellow hackers who agree not to spread it.
Anyway, my MFS implementation (will it ever work, we'll see :-)) is heavily
based on tridge's work so unless I get his approval I can't release.

> they get (as Tridge himself has done for his Australian listings and
> therefore must acknowledge guide data hackability to be a desirable
feature
> for more than just avoiding fees) is not a good idea. As a consumer, I'm

Approximately, what do you think it would be the ratio between people who
use the feature to feed tivo with international programming and people who
would use it to avoid feeds? Try to be realistic...

Regards,
Carlos