Cleaning Up

bounce2070@y... bounce2070 at y...
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 20:01:13 -0000

"Josh" == Josh Harding <theamigo42@y...>
wrote the following on Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:28:10 -0000

Josh> --- In ExtractStream@y..., neil_1_brown@y... wrote:
Josh> >> Is it possible to modify this code to search out
Josh> >> and nullify all mpeg2 data on my TiVo for the
Josh> >> purposes of backing it up onto something other
Josh> >> than half a spindle of CDRs?

Josh> I remember reading that it wasn't (yet) possible to
Josh> restore a tyStream that you'd pulled from the TiVo.
Josh> I think that what you're asking will happen after
Josh> a stream can be restored.

But what he's asking for has nothing to do with pulling a
tyStream from the TiVo. He simply wants to override the
mpg data of the exisiting stream. I.e., instead of calling
read() on the data blocks, the program calls write(). This
is what d18c7db solicited for in the readme file of
PlayStream back in January.

Josh> I think the hard part will be that the TiVo is
Josh> prolly very picky about it's MPEG streams.

No...just don't ask TiVo to ever play that tyStream that
you've nullified. It's there solely as a space filler
that's easy to compress. Once you've backed up (or, once
you've restored), the first thing you do is delete that
stream from Now Showing.