Anyone else working on this?

gkm@g... gkm at g...
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:15:06 -0000

I've been wanting to pull streams off my TiVo for some time now.
The plan is, instead of grabbing shows with the TiVo, then to tape,
extract the stream, Divx the show, then put it on CD. Better
quality, much less space. (I have a cabinet of tapes right now, a
couple of books would be much neater)

So, now I can get video from the TiVo (well, I will once I get back
home and assemble my TiVoNet card :)
What's needed now is software to convert that data to DiVx and burn
the resulting mess to CD. I've got Linux servers that I can put a
burner in and that would be the best solution, but if a windows only
solution is around, I can live with that.

Has anyone tried this? How'd you do it? How well did it work?
(can one actually get a 2 hour show down to a CD and still have it
watchable on a TV sized screen?) Does the Surround sound remain
intact?

Greg
P.S. A great thanks to everyone who's gotten this project this far!